High School

Q & A taken from "Meet Your Special Educators" event 9/27/11

Q. How does one apply for SAT accommodations?  What is the deadline?

A. Most students apply for accommodations with the assistance of their school. Parents and guardians must complete a consent form. The school's SSD Coordinator will then be able to request accommodations online.

Parents can request accommodations without the assistance of their school, by using a Student Eligibility Form.  These can be obtained from your school, or by contacting SSD. Here is a sample Student Eligibility Form, for informational purposes only.  In some cases, additional documentation of a disability is required to be submitted for the College Board's review. See Documentation Requirements for more information. Documentation review is required in all cases where a student is applying for accommodations directly from the College Board, without the participation of their school.

Important Dates

Apply for accommodations early! Review can take approximately seven weeks from the receipt of complete documentation. See Important SSD Dates for specific deadlines.

Q. Are there specific strategies for special education students who take the SATs?  What kind of accommodations can be provided?

A. Classroom and Assignment Accommodations

You may be asked to

Examination Accommodations

You may be asked to allow the student with a learning disability